Technical Writer / Editor
Duty Location: Rockville, MD with possibility of remote delivery
Position Information: Part-Time, On-Call
Security Level: Basic
Travel Required: None
Relocation Expenses: No relocation expenses may be authorized for this position.
Project work will vary but tasks will fall under contracts with Federal government departments and agencies within the Department of Health and Human Services, including the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).
Position is on the staff of a government consulting firm headquartered in Rockville, MD. The successful applicant will become part of Ripple Effect's Communications team and will support projects firm-wide. The applicant should have an understanding to some all or some of the facets that encompass HHS, including the affordable care act and healthcare payment, the grants application process, and the business of government-sponsored research.
Support could include technical and science writing, as well as technical communications planning related to bioscience research and healthcare policy, and policy research. The candidate may also:
- Analyze healthcare policy or science policy documents to maintain continuity of style of content.
- Edit documents such as proposals, scientific reports, manuals, tool kits, fact sheets and white papers for scientific accuracy.
- Draft web content for complex healthcare or research policy issues
- Participate or facilitate science workgroups, as appropriate
- Draft content for web based training, audio podcasts, blogs and other mediums to disseminate science and science policy information
- Write meeting minutes for scientific and science policy meetings
- Analyze, categorize and synthesize qualitative feedback on HHS guidelines, regulations and policies
- B.S. degree (Masters preferred) in science or professional writing, journalism, communications or related field required
- HHS experience, including NIH and CMS, a plus
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in technical publications
- Proficiency in writing scientific reports appropriate for both print and web publication, and in composing well-informed technical documents
- Ability to write in plain language
- Ability to work with virtual teams required (use of intranet and instant messenger to communicate)
- Ability to perform substantive editing of complex technical documents
- Excellent grammatical/punctuation skills required
- Strong working knowledge of references such as the GPO, AMA, and Chicago style manuals
- Basic knowledge of MS Word formatting
- Interest in working in various software programs a plus, and able to demonstrate proficiency in SharePoint
- Knowledge of 508c, a plus
Our employees are rewarded in many ways for their contributions to our mission, including competitive pay, exceptional benefits, and a range of work/life programs based on employment classification. Benefit offerings may include:
- Health Benefits – Health, Dental, and Vision
- Life, long-term disability, and other insurance products
- Health and Wellness Programs
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Retirement 401K program
- Profit sharing and bonus program
- Paid and unpaid leave
- Professional development
- Flexible schedules and work location
Vetting and Hiring Process
It is the policy of Ripple Effect Communications, Inc. that:
- qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits;
- employment eligibility will be verified using E-verify;
- applicants may be asked to participate in assessments during the interview process as described in our Informed Consent Policy; and
- applicants will not be reimbursed for any expenses associated with the interview process or relocation.
Not ready to apply or just want to stay informed on various career opportunities at Ripple Effect? Apply to one of our Future Rippler jobs or join our email newsletter!