Writer/Communications Specialist (NIH)
Ripple Effect is seeking a full-time Writer/Communications Specialist with a background in communications for training programs and an understanding of NIH to work within the Office of Extramural Programs (OEP) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
- Duty Location: Bethesda, MD
- Position Information: Full-Time, Regular
- Vacancies: 1 Opening
- Security Clearance: A security clearance is not required to apply. Applicants, once hired, may be subject to a security investigation and may need to meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
- Travel Required: This position requires occasional local travel (Washington, D.C. area) for work-related meetings.
Ripple Effect Communications is a government contractor providing professional consulting services in the areas of: Communications & Outreach; Program Management & Policy; and Research & Evaluation. For this position, we are looking for someone to support the Extramural Staff Training Office within the Office of Extramural Programs at the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Ripple Effect is a fast-paced, demanding, and rewarding environment where independent work, creative thinking, and solution-proposing is the norm. To learn more about working at Ripple Effect and our growing team check out the Future Rippler section of our website.
The ideal candidate for this role has a strong understanding of the National Institutes of Health, knowledge about biomedical research, is an exceptional communicator, and is highly motivated to take on challenges within a fast-paced environment. The Writer/Communications Specialist will work alongside NIH staff to develop and execute communications plans including the following tasks:
- Work effectively as a team with NIH staff to plan and implement communications across ESTO
- Provide writing and editorial support for newsletters and blogs on adult education, employee training, ESTO priorities, and training outcomes
- Research and write articles and other content development regarding training and adult education, and other similar tasks.
- Support e-learning module creation including: drafting content, writing scripts for voice-over narration, and providing editorial support.
- Create multimedia presentations and materials for key events.
- Review and edit multimedia materials to ensure all internal and external materials comply with Section 508c.
- As needed, support ESTO with tasks to include assistance with leading workshops, meetings, training sessions, and other similar tasks.
- Bachelor's degree required, Master's or more preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including demonstrated experience with content development across multiple platforms. (e.g., websites, blogs, print)
- Excellent editorial skills and attention to detail
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with ability to effectively manage multiple priorities, and take guidance from multiple task leads
- Intermediate use of Microsoft Office products (Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word)
- Ability to work productively in SharePoint to accomplish tasks
- Understanding of NIH and biomedical research
- Experience with e-learning and training concepts
- Experience with strategic communications planning and implementation
- Understanding of the role of the Office of Extramural Programs (OEP) within the greater context of the NIH
Our employees are rewarded in many ways for their contributions to our mission, including competitive pay, exceptional benefits, and a range of work/life programs based on employment classification. Benefit offerings may include:
- Health Benefits – Health, Dental, and Vision
- Life, long-term disability, and other insurance products
- Health and Wellness Programs
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Retirement 401K program
- Profit sharing and bonus program
- Paid and unpaid leave
- Professional development
- Flexible schedules and work location
Vetting and Hiring Process
It is the policy of Ripple Effect Communications, Inc. that:
- qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits;
- employment eligibility will be verified using E-verify;
- applicants may be asked to participate in assessments during the interview process as described in our Informed Consent Policy; and
- applicants will not be reimbursed for any expenses associated with the interview process or relocation.
Not ready to apply or just want to stay informed on various career opportunities at Ripple Effect? Apply to one of our Future Rippler jobs or join our email newsletter!