Communications Specialist (NIH, Genomics Policy)
Ripple Effect is seeking a full-time Communications Specialist (NIH, Genomics Policy) with a background in biomedical research (genomics preferred) and an understanding of the NIH to work within the Office of Extramural Research (OER) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
- Duty Location: Bethesda, MD
- Position Information: Full-Time, Regular
- Vacancies: 1 Opening
- Security Clearance: A security clearance is not required to apply. Applicants, once hired, may be subject to a security investigation and may need to meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
- Travel Required: This position requires occasional local travel (Washington, D.C. area) for work-related meetings.
Ripple Effect Communications is a government contractor providing professional consulting services in the areas of: Communications & Outreach; Program Management & Policy; and Research & Evaluation. For this position, we are looking for someone to support the Office of Extramural Research at the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Ripple Effect is a fast-paced, demanding, and rewarding environment where independent work, creative thinking, and solution-proposing is the norm. To learn more about working at Ripple Effect and our growing team check out the Future Rippler section of our website.
The ideal candidate for this role has a strong understanding of the National Institutes of Health, a background in biomedical research, is an exceptional communicator, and is highly motivated to take on challenges within a fast-paced environment. The Communications Specialist will work alongside NIH staff to develop and execute communications plans related to NIH's Genomic Data Sharing Policy and other related initiatives including the following tasks:
- Assist with developing comprehensive communication, outreach, and training plans related to the Genomic Data Sharing (GDS) policy
- Develop informational resources on the interpretation of and compliance with the GDS policy based on existing guidance materials
- Support the analysis of existing communications materials and identify gaps that need to be filled
- Creation of new resources and materials to address internal and external communications needs
- Implement the re-design and delivery of web content to improve access to information and guidance
- Support and manage high-volume shared mailboxes, including answering email queries and routing queries to the correct subject matter expert
- Coordinate and implement staff training plans on GDS policy
- Develop outreach plans for NIH staff and the extramural applicant/recipient community
- Provide writing and editorial support for various communications products including: blogs, newsletters, websites, and PowerPoint presentations.
- Review and edit multimedia materials to ensure all internal and external materials comply with Section 508c.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s or PhD preferred.
- Biomedical research knowledge. This requirement may be met by education or experience.
- Strong written and verbal communications, including demonstrated experience with content development across multiple platforms (e.g., websites, blogs, print, social media)
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with ability to effectively manage multiple priorities
- Intimate knowledge of the NIH
Our employees are rewarded in many ways for their contributions to our mission, including competitive pay, exceptional benefits, and a range of work/life programs based on employment classification. Benefit offerings may include:
- Health Benefits – Health, Dental, and Vision
- Life, long-term disability, and other insurance products
- Health and Wellness Programs
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Retirement 401K program
- Profit sharing and bonus program
- Paid and unpaid leave
- Professional development
- Flexible schedules and work location
Vetting and Hiring Process
It is the policy of Ripple Effect Communications, Inc. that:
- qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits;
- employment eligibility will be verified using E-verify;
- applicants may be asked to participate in assessments during the interview process as described in our Informed Consent Policy; and
- applicants will not be reimbursed for any expenses associated with the interview process or relocation.
Not ready to apply or just want to stay informed on various career opportunities at Ripple Effect? Apply to one of our Future Rippler jobs or join our email newsletter!