Scientific Program Manager - NIH
Duty Location: Rockville MD with occasional travel to customer site in Bethesda MD
Security Level: Applicants selected will be subject to a security investigation and may need to meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information
Relocation Expenses: No relocation expenses may be authorized for this position
Background: The National Institutes of Health (NIH) is the nation's premier biomedical research agency. Within the Office of Extramural Research (OER), the Office of Extramural Programs (OEP) provides leadership for the management of trans-NIH programs via the development of programs and policies, interpretation, coordination, oversight, evaluation, training and outreach for NIH extramural staff and the extramural research community. As such, OEP is tasked with helping to provide oversight and direction for the implementation of initiatives related to program, grants management, and review. Ripple Effect is seeking a full-time staff member to work with OEP and other NIH components to implement initiatives, especially related to enhancement of the stewardship of funds.
Ripple Effect attracts high-achievers who consistently attain above-average results and take responsibility for solving problems. Our clients engage us because we bring intelligence, innovation, initiative, and impact to project management. We need self-starters who get the job done, who can handle a wide range of support tasks, and who enjoy the energy of a government office with intelligent colleagues and fast-paced programs.
Apply if you’re looking for a job that delivers these opportunities:
- Contribute to high-level functioning within a government agency
- Interact professionally with government clients
- Think on your feet while mastering new tasks quickly and independently
The successful candidate will thrive on open collaboration, intellectual curiosity, an energetic, entrepreneurial approach to challenges, an upbeat, collegial environment, and will demonstrate the hard work and drive that exemplifies Ripple Effect core values of intelligence, innovation, initiative, and impact. Preference will be given to individuals who are already performing these tasks successfully.
The Project Manager will provide program administration and management support by completing the following tasks:
Task 1: Program and Project Management
- Use the appropriate project management processes, skills, and resources to oversee projects, especially those pertaining to research funding.
- Employ techniques to define, plan, organize, schedule, budget, manage and close out projects
- Oversee and manage project teams (e.g., coordinate subgroups to ensure tasks are ongoing and completed on time)
- Formulate, organize and monitor inter-connected projects
- Engage key leaders to resolve higher scope issues
- Manage stakeholder expectations
Task 2: Administrative Services
- Engage in general project administration to support various committees and senior leadership, which includes (but not limited to):
- schedule meetings
- draft agendas
- compose minutes
- track related committees
- manage related SharePoint sites
- Prepare reports
Task 3: Program Support
- Provide program support to Deputy Director of the NIH Office of Extramural Research.
- Possess a Master’s degree or higher from an accredited university
- Have adept skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office tools including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and SharePoint
- Have a working knowledge of program/project management software (specifically Microsoft Project) a plus
- Possess excellent problem-solving and organizational skills
- Have proven experience as a Program or Project Manager or other managerial position (certification in Project Management preferred) at NIH or other HHS agency
- Have superior communication skills and experience coordinating a large team of people
- Have a scientific background acquired via education, training and/or experience
- Have an expert command of the English language
- Be willing and able to to work full time on the client site during core business hours
Ripple Effect Communications, Inc. offers a wide array of plans in its flexible benefits program with options that enable each employee to structure a benefits package tailored to meet his or her family's needs.
Offerings within those programs may include:
- Life, long-term disability, and other insurance products
- 401k matching
Ripple Effect Communications participates in E-Verify
During Ripple Effect’s interview process, you may be asked to participate in an assessment. Assessment materials and results will be considered confidential and safeguarded in the same fashion as employment applications. We consider our assessments proprietary information and the form and/or content of the assessments may not be shared with others outside of Ripple Effect. Assessment instructions, links, topics, or any other information about the assessments may not be shared verbally or in writing with other individuals or posted to sites accessible by others. To learn more about how Ripple Effect will use your information, see our informed consent policy.