Financial Analyst (NIH)
Ripple Effect is seeking several full-time Financial Analysts, including one Lead, with an understanding of the National Institutes of Health (NIH). These individuals will work at the client-site at NIH in the Office of Extramural Research (OER). This position is contingent upon the expansion of the Ripple Effect team at OER.
- Duty Location: Bethesda, MD
- Number of openings: 2-4
- Security Level: A security clearance is not required to apply. Applicants, once hired, will be subject to a security investigation and need to meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information at Public Trust level C.
- Travel Required: This position requires occasional local travel (Washington, D.C. area) for work-related meetings.
- Relocation Expenses: No relocation expenses may be authorized for this position.
- Position Information: Full-Time
Ripple Effect works with federal, private, and non-profit clients to support some of the most crucial policies and programs that shape our nation. We provide professional consulting services in the areas of: Communications & Outreach; Program Management & Policy; and Research & Evaluation. For this position, we are looking for someone to support the National Institutes of Health (NIH), as a Financial Analyst. Ripple Effect is an interdisciplinary environment, full of insightful and intentional people who value and reward adaptability, lifelong learning, and authenticity. To learn more about working at Ripple Effect and our growing team check out the Future Rippler section of our website.
Ripple Effect is looking for a Financial Analyst who has a strong understanding of NIH, financial experience, and knowledge about the biomedical research community, including extramural awards. The ideal candidate will be someone who is solution-oriented and uses determination and creativity as a regular part of the tool kit. We are looking for someone who is comfortable learning new software and knows how to harness technology to accomplish project goals. For this position, the ideal candidate will have strong, proven interpersonal and management skills. The individual will be adept at completing multiple projects and have excellent communication skills (written and verbal).
The Financial Analyst will work alongside others at NIH to maintain financial systems and records. We are seeking someone who is highly motivated to take on new challenges in an evolving government environment. There are several position vacancies in support of various parts of OER, including the Division of Loan Repayment.
Specific duties may include:
- Review sensitive customer financial information (e.g., loan documents)
- Prepare data and reports for management
- Organize and analyze data sets and information using database tools and spreadsheets
- Conduct research for management officials
- Assist with program administration; monitor financial obligations, payments, and projections; communicate with program participants
- Conduct quantitative analyses to support the agency’s monitoring and reporting requirements, forecast calculations, and other data analytics as needed
- Collect and prepare data from surveys and administrative information systems
- Prepare research reports and other documents
- Perform financial forecasting, reporting, and operational metrics tracking
- Create recommendations to be presented to management and leadership
- Present findings and manage client meetings, when appropriate
- Reconcile existing transactions through cross-referencing of incoming and outgoing data
- Work with the accounting team to ensure accurate financial reporting and decision support
- Recommend actions by analyzing and interpreting data
- Identify and drive process improvements, including the creation of standard and ad-hoc reports, tools, and Excel dashboards
- Increase productivity by developing automated reporting/forecasting tools
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Business Administration, or other relevant area
- 1-3 years of business finance or other relevant experience
- Fluency with Excel formulas and functions
- Ability to work productively in web-based environment to accomplish tasks
- Strong data gathering skills
- Good business acumen
- Highly organized, efficient, extremely detail-oriented
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills
- Ability to work independently and know when to seek assistance
- Experience working with and presenting to senior executives
- Ability to be on-site during core business hours
- Ability to prioritize among multiple tasks in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Demonstrated strength in oral and written communication skills; including professional emails
Additional Basic Requirements for the Financial Lead Analyst
- Master’s degree in Business or related field
- 3-5+ years of business finance or other relevant experience
Preferred Skills, both positions
- At least 2 years of experience with student loan servicing
- Experience with NIH Business System (NBS)
Our employees are rewarded in many ways for their contributions to our mission, including competitive pay, exceptional benefits, and a range of work/life programs based on employment classification. Benefit offerings may include:
- Health Benefits – Health, Dental, and Vision
- Life, long-term disability, and other insurance products
- Health and Wellness Programs
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Retirement 401K program
- Profit sharing and bonus program
- Paid and unpaid leave
- Professional development
- Flexible schedules and work location
Vetting and Hiring Process
It is the policy of Ripple Effect that:
- qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits;
- employment eligibility will be verified using E-verify;
- applicants may be asked to participate in assessments during the interview process as described in our Informed Consent Policy; and
- applicants will not be reimbursed for any expenses associated with the interview process or relocation.
Not ready to apply or just want to stay informed on various career opportunities at Ripple Effect? Apply to one of our Future Rippler jobs or join our email newsletter!